SPLAIO commander threatens military action to release Machar

Machar, who is also the leader of the main armed opposition group, was placed under house arrest by security forces on March 26, allegedly, on orders of President Salva Kiir Mayardit, his main peace partner.
According to Information Minister Michael Makuei, Machar is accused of attempting to overthrow the government and directing his forces to attack the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF).
In a statement sent to on Tuesday, SPLA-IO Mobile Force Commander Maj. Gen. John Mabieh Gar criticized the government’s actions, claiming that the SSPDF and the ruling SPLM-IG had violated the 2018 peace agreement, which was intended to end years of civil war.
“The SSPDF and SPLM- IG has gone as far as violated the A-ARCSS to the maximum stage. SPLA-IO military leadership has waited for so long for the peace partners guarantors and international community to intervene and break the deadlock to de-escalate the conflict, but SSPDF continues its aggressive attack to our cantonment site and even attacked the necessary unified forces in their training center and dislodged them out of their areas,” he said.
Mabieh provided details of several attacks on SPLA-IO positions, including military training centers, which he argued exacerbated the already tense situation. He also condemned what he described as the use of chemical weapons against civilians in Nasir County.
The commander demanded the immediate release of Machar and confirmation of his health status. He appealed directly to the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), the African Union (AU), and the United Nations (UN) to help resolve the crisis, and warned that if Machar is not released, he would take military action to free him.
“I therefore request IGAD AU, UN and other peace partners to persuade the SSPDF and SPLM-IG to immediately release H.E Dr. Riak Machar Teny Dhurgon from house arrest and communicate with us to confirm his health status and all prisoners who were detained by SSPDF and NSS in juba as soon as possible, otherwise I will take military action to release the chairman and commander in chief of SPLM/A IO with all the arrested [cadres],” he said.
Gar also condemned the recent replacement of SPLA-IO’s acting chief of staff, General Gabriel Duop Lam, who was detained earlier in March. He described the move as a declaration of war against the SPLA-IO and an attempt to undermine its leadership.
“The unilateral replacement of SPLA-IO Acting chief of staff with SSPDF CDF Assistant of IG Gen. Koang Gatkuoth Kerjok without concern of SPLA-IO leadership is an [intention] to divide our forces and making [of] a coup against the SPLA-IO commander in chief. His appointment to acting chief of staff of SPLA-IO is rejected as it was made by the SSPDF and SPLM-IG and not SPLA-IO leadership,” he said.
sudanspost.com